Friday, January 09, 2009

Preach it, Helen

But I was so happy to see my nephew home from Iraq. At least that is where I think he’s been. As a member of the special forces, he can’t tell me what he’s been up to. Instead he gave me a hug and told me he’s been getting the bad guys. I hugged him back and held my tongue because I support the troops.

Support the troops. You know saying those words takes about as much energy as putting one of those god awful yellow ribbon stickers on your car. It’s meaningless unless you follow it with action. When dealing with war, it’s more than the thought that counts.

If you want to support the troops then you do everything you can to work for peace. You march… you write letters to your editor… you call your elected officials…. and you teach your children that bad guys are rarely found on the field of battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment