Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Joe Hargrave on Immigration

The fact that some of my fellow Catholics oppose reasonable immigration policies distresses me; I guess what distresses me most is that the political divisions in this country infest my Church as well.

In any event, Joe's entire essay is worth a read, especially by my fellow Catholics. An excerpt:

[T]here can be absolutely no doubt as to what our Christian duty towards immigrants, regardless of their legal status, is to be. Matthew 25 gives an account of the last judgment and makes clear that what we do for, or fail to do for, the least of our brothers, we do or fail to do unto God. On that list is included:

"I was a stranger, and you took me in"

And:

"I was a stranger, and you took me not in"

Immigrants are strangers in our land, and so our duty is singular and clear: to welcome them. They are also poor so our next duty is also clear: to feed them, or at least enable them to obtain the means to feed themselves. It is what they come here for in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment