Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Speaking of Music

The below video is of Gayle Garnett singing her 1964 hit, "We'll Sing in the Sunshine".

The song has an infectious, lilting swing that is as timeless as it is irresistible; the lyrics, however, are a monument of emotional desolation and despair:

I can never love you;
The cost of love's too dear;
But though I'll never love you,
I'll stay with you one year.

My Daddy he once told me,
"Hey, don't you love you any man.
Just take what they may give you,
And give but what you can."


I think about someone actually saying those words to someone, and I think about a person that would find the described arrangement attractive, and then I imagine that I am staring right into the heart of Hell itself.

P.S. Worth pondering: Why would "Daddy" tell her "don't you love you any man"?

No comments:

Post a Comment